Monday, March 3, 2008

Super Tag Tuesday

Politics on this Houston ART Blog can be a difficult thing to take. However, it would be stupid of me not to recognize the fact that the world is watching Texas, waiting to see what happens to the Democractic Candidates on Super Tuesday part deux . I intend on making politics and art mix. Watch me now:

Tagging/ graffiti... I need some help in understanding the purpose of it. I know it's sort of a big deal in Houston, and recently the local government became more intent on "cleaning" it up (if I remember correctly). To me tagging is inherently an antiestablishment art form. I'm sure there are a few who just do it because it's fun or they like the medium of neighborhood walls, but I think they are few. Mostly I think we have artists purposely drawing, spray painting, etc. where they shouldn't be. The city cleans them up, creating Modern Art to some, and the taggers take it back again.

Now when I see things like this on Alabama St. (across from the Breakfast Club)



I cannot help but think to myself, what a perfect example of what should be tagged or something to that effect. What a perfect example of the pOwErr strRuctuRres. But do I see anything? Nope, just a bunch of old run down houses. Sure, it'd be easy if it were Richard Cheney, but that's really safe. I just wonder... it's not as though tagging was A-OK when Pres. Clinton was in office, so it can't be a party affiliation thing, can it. Do taggers carry cards?

This is just a thought. Does anyone want to fill me in on what I am missing?

UPDATE (thanks Jeanne):



So, this was designed by Shepard Fairey of OBEY fame:



I suppose we just substitute HOPE for OBEY here.

Updates via The Houston Chronicle:

"On the eve of Texas' crucial Democratic primary, Obama led Clinton among likely Democratic voters, 47.2 percent to 43.8 percent, according to Sunday's tracking poll, conducted for the Houston Chronicle, Reuters and C-SPAN by Zogby International. Six percent of voters remained undecided."

Read more Here: HOUSTON CHRON ONLINE

5 comments:

jeannecassanova said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jeannecassanova said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po5l8L0I25o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/primoprics/sets/72157603947276878/

"The medium is the message here."
Totally false.

"Other cities aren't going out of their way to do this type of propaganda."
Totally scary.

b.s. said...

Wow - I had no idea it was designed by Shepard Fairey! Thanks for that YOUTUBE - this is even more interesting... and strange.

Anonymous said...

why is everyone making such a big deal out of this piece? GET OVER IT

What are you trying to understand? This is so elementary:

Popular local artists + famous international artist design + paint in a creatively repressive city + support for an establishment shill = media hype (pictured here)

someone should cap this crap.

b.s. said...

my original post + anonymous blog comment = bad math... I have no clue what you're saying.